Computer Science Education
Computer Science Education Research (CSER) focuses on teaching and learning in academic fields related to information technology. Particular area of interest is the use of educational technology. CSER combines education research with computer science. Some of the key research topics are
- Teaching methods
- Learning patterns
- Educational technology: systems, methods and application
- Program and algorithm visualization
- Automatic assessment
- Immediate (automatic) feedback
Our research group is interested in methods for teaching computer science and the use of information technology as an educational tool in general. In the first case the goal is to establish if a teaching intervention has an observable effect. Usually for a new element to succeed, the support from other aspects of teaching are also needed. For example the introduction of a new educational technology could demand changes in the course structure, teaching methods or assessment. The mechanics of learning is also an important perspective; if we don’t know how people learn we can’t design successful teaching interventions. In the second case, research of educational technology, the goal is to develop new information technology based learning technologies and assess their usefulness. Technology is here the means for intervention but the subject to be taught can be from a wide variety of fields.
The research group has developed an eLearning platform called ViLLE. ViLLE started as a program visualization tool for an introductory programming course, but it has grown to become a general learning platform.
- What drives subscribing to premium in freemium services? A consumer value-based view of differences between upgrading to and staying with premium
Matti Mäntymäki, A.K.M. Najmul Islam, Izak Benbasat
- Developing a Communication Application System for Chamwino Small-Scale Farmers in Tanzania: A Participatory Design Research
Misaki E., Apiola M., Gaiani S.
- Bridging the Gap between Software Architecture and Business Model Development: A Literature Study
S. Hyrynsalmi, S. Rauti, E. Kaila
- Teachers’ Perceptions of Digital Learning Path in Mathematics, Languages and Programming
E. Kurvinen, E. Kaila, H. Kajasilta, M.-J. Laakso
- The uniqueness of Computational thinking
Peter Larsson, Mikko Apiola, Mikko-Jussi Laakso
- Toward pedagogy driven virtual reality learning space design
Rötkönen E., Najmul Islam A., Sutinen E.
- Why do blockchains split? An actor-network perspective on Bitcoin splits
A.K.M. Najmul Islam, Matti Mäntymäki, Marja Turunen
- Towards a Design Research Model for Climate Services: Experiences from a Development Project in Mozambique
Helminen J., Leão A., Myllynpää V., Gaiani S., Apiola M., Sutinen E.
- Digital platforms and the changing nature of physical work: Insights from ride-hailing
Matti Mäntymäki, Abayomi Baiyere, A.K.M. Najmul Islam
- Decomposing social networking site regret: a uses and gratifications approach
Islam A.K.M., Mäntymäki M., Kefi H.
- Experiences from Digital Learning Analytics in Finland and Sweden: A Collaborative Approach
Mikko Apiola, Thashmee Karunaratne, Erkki Kaila, Mikko-Jussi Laakso
- Towards a Creator Mindset for Computational Thinking: Reflections on Task-Cards
- Digital learning approaches in an intermediate-level computer science course
Mikko Apiola, Erno Lokkila, Mikko-Jussi Laakso
- The Impact of Self-Theories to Academic Achievement and Soft Skills in Undergraduate CS Studies: First Findings
Mikko Apiola, Mikko-Jussi Laakso
- Research in Progress: Holistic Climate Service Prototypes for Farmers in Tambuu, Tanzania
Myllynpää V., Helminen J., Misaki E., Apiola M., Haakana J., Westerlund T., Sutinen E.
- Contemporary challenges in street trader-customer interaction through mobile devices in Dodoma, Tanzania
Rumanyika J., Tedre M., Apiola M., Oyelere S., Mramba N.
- Towards holistic mobile climate services for farmers in Tambuu, Tanzania
Myllynpää V., Misaki E., Apiola M., Helminen J., Dayoub M., Westerlund T., Sutinen E.
- Big Data Value Chain: Making Sense of the Challenges
Milla Wirén, Matti Mäntymäki, Najmul A.K.M Islam
- Experiences from a development project in Kenya – Baselines for future climate information systems
Helminen J., Kirongo B., Gaiani S., Misaki E., Apiola M., Sutinen E.
- Prediction of Student Final Exam Performance in an Introductory Programming Course: Development and Validation of the Use of a Support Vector Machine-Regression Model
Veerasamy Ashok Kumar, Daryl D’Souza, Rolf Lindén, Mikko-Jussi Laakso
- Duality of self-promotion on social networking sites
A.K.M. Najmul Islam, Matti Mäntymäki, Izak Benbasat
- Understanding the Role of Actor Heterogeneity in Blockchain Splits: An Actor-Network Perspective of Bitcoin Forks
A.K.M. Najmul Islam, Matti Mäntymäki, Marja Turunen
- Snacking Gamers (2018)
Tuomas Mäkilä, Henna Syrjälä, Tapani N. Joelsson, Kaisa Könnölä, Saara Lunden, Mari Sandell, Harri Luomala
- Special Issue of Advances in Multimedia: Augmented and Virtual Reality towards Digital Economy (2018)
Mohd S. Sunar, Hoshang Kolivand, Mark Billinghurst, Adrian D. Cheok, Tuomas Mäkilä
- How to Train a Data Scientist for the Global South? (2018)
Eeva Nygren, Martti Sutinen, Tomi Westerlund, Erkki Sutinen
- Dynamics between disturbances and motivations in educational mobile games (2018)
Eeva Liisa Nygren, Teemu H. Laine, Erkki Sutinen
- The Impact and Effectiveness of Technology Enhanced mathematics Learning (2018)
Kurvinen, E., Dagienė, V., & Laakso, M-J.
- Image Analysis and Development of Graphical User Interface for Pole Vault Action (2018)
Rajeev Kanth, Jukka-Pekka Skön, Kari Lehtomäki, Paavo Nevalainen, Petra Virjonen, Mikko-Jussi Laakso, Jukka Heikkonen
- The role of prosumers in the evolution of a software ecosystem: Case Steam (2018)
Tapani N. Joelsson, Sami Hyrynsalmi, Sabine Molenaar
- Prospects for Climate Services for Sustainable Agriculture in Tanzania (2018)
Moammar Dayoub,Jaakko Helminen,Ville Myllynpää, Nicolas Pope, Mikko Apiola, Tomi Westerlund, Erkki Sutinen
- Relationship between perceived problem-solving skills and academic performance of novice learners in introductory programming courses (2018)
Ashok Kumar Veerasamy, Daryl D'Souza, Rolf Lindén, Mikko‐Jussi Laakso
- Investigating dual effects of social networking sites (2018)
A. K. M. Najmul Islam, Matti Mäntymäki, Aaron W. Baur, Markus Bick
- The dark side of social media - and Fifty Shades of Grey introduction to the special issue: the dark side of social media (2018)
Salo J, Mantymaki M, Islam AKMN
- The Human Resources Debt in Software Business (2018)
Sonja M. Hyrynsalmi, Minna M. Rantanen, Johannes Holvitie, Sami Hyrynsalmi, Erkki Sutinen
- Gamifying Learning of Maritime Standard Operational Procedures (2018)
Olli I. Heimo, Tapani N. Joelsson, Sari Nyroos, Tuomas Mäkilä
- Future Educational Technology with Big Data and Learning Analytics (2018)
Kanth R., Laakso M., Nevalainen P., Heikkonen J.
- Special Issue: The Dark Side of Social Media (2018)
Jari Salo, Matti Mäntymäki, A.K.M. Najmul Islam
- Role and Experiences of Tutorial in Location Based Game (2018)
Kaisa Könnölä, Tuomas Ranti, Tapani N. Joelsson, Tuomas Mäkilä
- Motivational Game Design and Pro-Environmental Elements in Sustainability Applications (2018)
Kaisa Könnölä, Tuomas Mäkilä, Kaapo Seppälä, Teijo Lehtonen
- A model for gamifying programming education: University-level programming course quantified (2018)
Kaila Erkki, Laakso Mikko-Jussi, Rajala Teemu, Kurvinen Einari
- Designing and creating a framework for learning analytics in Finland (2018)
Laakso Mikko-Jussi, Kurvinen Einari, Enges-Pyykönen Petra, Kaila Erkki
- Assessing the Potential Learning from Simulation Games (2018)
Timo Lainema, A.K.M. Najmul Islam, Kirsi Lainema
- A Stress-Strain-Outcome Model of Job Satisfaction: The Moderating Role of Professional Self-efficacy (2018)
A.K.M. Najmul Islam, Nicholas Mavengere, Ulla-Riitta Ahlfors, Mikko Ruohonen, Alexander Serenko,Prashant Palvia
- Social Media Overload and Fatigue: The Moderating Role of Multitasking Computer Self-Efficacy (2018)
A.K.M. Najmul Islam, Eoin Whelan, Stoney Brooks
- Technology-enhanced programming courses for upper secondary school students (2018)
Kaila E., Laakso M-J., Rajala T., Mäkeläinen A., Lokkila E.
- Teaching future teachers to code - Programming and computational thinking for teacher students (2018)
Kaila E., Laakso M-J., Kurvinen E.
- Community climate services for small-scale farmers in Tanzania (2018)
Helminen J., Myllynpää V., Apiola M., Dayoub M., Westerlund T., Sutinen E.
- Challenges facing sub-Saharan small-scale farmers in accessing farming information through mobile phones: A systematic literature review (2018)
Ezra Misaki, Mikko Apiola, Silvia Gaiani, Matti Tedre
- Design, development, and evaluation of a mobile learning application for computing education (2018)
Oyelere SS, Suhonen J, Wajiga GM, Sutinen E
- ViLLE – collaborative education tool: Designing and utilizing an exercise-based learning environment (2018)
Mikko-Jussi Laakso, Erkki Kaila, Teemu Rajala