Computer Science Education
Computer Science Education Research (CSER) focuses on teaching and learning in academic fields related to information technology. Particular area of interest is the use of educational technology. CSER combines education research with computer science. Some of the key research topics are
- Teaching methods
- Learning patterns
- Educational technology: systems, methods and application
- Program and algorithm visualization
- Automatic assessment
- Immediate (automatic) feedback
Our research group is interested in methods for teaching computer science and the use of information technology as an educational tool in general. In the first case the goal is to establish if a teaching intervention has an observable effect. Usually for a new element to succeed, the support from other aspects of teaching are also needed. For example the introduction of a new educational technology could demand changes in the course structure, teaching methods or assessment. The mechanics of learning is also an important perspective; if we don’t know how people learn we can’t design successful teaching interventions. In the second case, research of educational technology, the goal is to develop new information technology based learning technologies and assess their usefulness. Technology is here the means for intervention but the subject to be taught can be from a wide variety of fields.
The research group has developed an eLearning platform called ViLLE. ViLLE started as a program visualization tool for an introductory programming course, but it has grown to become a general learning platform.
- The Game Experience Model (GEM)
Tomi “bgt” Suovuo, Natasha Skult, Tapani N. Joelsson, Petter Skult, Werner Ravyse, Jouni Smed
- Considering sustainability in cruise vessel design and construction based on existing sustainability certification systems
Kaisa Könnölä, Karri Kangas, Kaapo Seppälä, Marileena Mäkelä, Teijo Lehtonen
- Organizational buyers' assimilation of B2B platforms: Effects of IT-enabled service functionality
A.K.M. Najmul Islam, Ronald Cenfetelli, Izak Benbasat
- Long term effects on technology enhanced learning: The use of weekly digital lessons in mathematics
Einari Kurvinen, Erkki Kaila, Mikko-Jussi Laakso, Tapio Salakoski
- The Effects Playing Pokémon GO has on Physical Activity -A Systematic Literature Review
Samuli Laato, Sonja Hyrynsalmi, Sampsa Rauti, Erkki Sutinen
- Filling an engineering specialist void: FITech University Network - a cooperative education initiative to support the growth of Southwestern Finland
Timo Vasankari, Carolina Islas Sedano, Erkki Sutinen
- Gamified package: Consumer insights into multidimensional brand engagement
Henna Syrjälä, Hannele Kauppinen-Räisänen, Harri T. Luomala, Tapani Joelsson, Kaisa Könnölä, Tuomas Mäkilä
- Applying the SOBC paradigm to explain how social media overload affects academic performance
Eoin Whelan, AKM Najmul Islam, Stoney Brooks
- Sharing sustainability data through an open data game (2019)
Könnölä K., Loponen M., Krusberg M., Lehtonen T.
- Ethical Considerations in Learning Analytics: Ideas and Discussion (2019)
Erkki Kaila, Einari Kurvinen, Mikko Apiola
- Mixed Reality for Industry? An Empirical User Experience Study (2019)
Olli I. Heimo, Leo Sakari, Tero Säntti, Teijo Lehtonen
- Knowledge-based Service for African Traditional Herbal Medicine: A hybrid approach (2019)
Devine S., Kolog E., Sutinen E., Sääksjärvi I.
- Quantitizing Affective Data as Project Evaluation on the Use of a Mathematics Mobile Game and Intelligent Tutoring System (2019)
Nygren E., Blignaut A.S., Leendertz V., Sutinen E.
- The Role of Implicit Theories in Computer Science and Engineering Studies: First Findings and Review (2019)
Mikko-Ville Apiola, Mikko-Jussi Laakso
- What Does the Pedagogical Agent Say? (2019)
Athanasios Christopoulos, Marc Conrad, Mitul Shukla
- Governments’ Perspective on Engaging Citizens in the Co-creation of E-Government Services: A Meta-synthesis of Qualitative Case Studies (2019)
Khan A., Krishnan S., Islam A.
- Measuring Students’ Stress with Mood Sensors: First Findings (2019)
Henri Kajasilta, Mikko-Ville Apiola, Erno Lokkila, Ashok Veerasamy, Mikko-Jussi Laakso
- The role of women software communities in attracting more women to the software industry (2019)
Hyrynsalmi Sonja, Sutinen Erkki
- Affordances of music composing software for learning mathematics at primary schools (2019)
Laato S, Laine T, Sutinen E
- Determining banner advertisement effectiveness in mobile games: A study from South Africa (2019)
R Koumulainen, J Lappeman, AKM Najmul Islam
- What drives subscribing to premium in freemium services? A consumer value-based view of differences between upgrading to and staying with premium (2019)
Matti Mäntymäki, A.K.M. Najmul Islam, Izak Benbasat
- Developing a Communication Application System for Chamwino Small-Scale Farmers in Tanzania: A Participatory Design Research (2019)
Misaki E., Apiola M., Gaiani S.
- Bridging the Gap between Software Architecture and Business Model Development: A Literature Study (2019)
S. Hyrynsalmi, S. Rauti, E. Kaila
- Teachers’ Perceptions of Digital Learning Path in Mathematics, Languages and Programming (2019)
E. Kurvinen, E. Kaila, H. Kajasilta, M.-J. Laakso
- The uniqueness of Computational thinking (2019)
Peter Larsson, Mikko Apiola, Mikko-Jussi Laakso
- Mobile Technology Usage for Street Traders’ Market Search in Dodoma—Urban Tanzania: An Exploratory Study (2019)
Joel Rumanyika, Matti Tedre, Mikko Apiola, Nasibu Rajabu Mramba
- Toward pedagogy driven virtual reality learning space design (2019)
Rötkönen E., Najmul Islam A., Sutinen E.
- Why do blockchains split? An actor-network perspective on Bitcoin splits (2019)
A.K.M. Najmul Islam, Matti Mäntymäki, Marja Turunen
- Towards a Design Research Model for Climate Services: Experiences from a Development Project in Mozambique (2019)
Helminen J., Leão A., Myllynpää V., Gaiani S., Apiola M., Sutinen E.
- Digital platforms and the changing nature of physical work: Insights from ride-hailing (2019)
Matti Mäntymäki, Abayomi Baiyere, A.K.M. Najmul Islam
- Decomposing social networking site regret: a uses and gratifications approach (2019)
Islam A.K.M., Mäntymäki M., Kefi H.
- Experiences from Digital Learning Analytics in Finland and Sweden: A Collaborative Approach (2019)
Mikko Apiola, Thashmee Karunaratne, Erkki Kaila, Mikko-Jussi Laakso
- Towards a Creator Mindset for Computational Thinking: Reflections on Task-Cards (2019)
- Digital learning approaches in an intermediate-level computer science course (2019)
Mikko Apiola, Erno Lokkila, Mikko-Jussi Laakso
- The Impact of Self-Theories to Academic Achievement and Soft Skills in Undergraduate CS Studies: First Findings (2019)
Mikko Apiola, Mikko-Jussi Laakso
- Research in Progress: Holistic Climate Service Prototypes for Farmers in Tambuu, Tanzania (2019)
Myllynpää V., Helminen J., Misaki E., Apiola M., Haakana J., Westerlund T., Sutinen E.
- Duality of Work in Sharing Economy - Insights from Uber (2019)
Abayomi Baiyere, A.K.M. Najmul Islam, Matti Mäntymäki
- Contemporary challenges in street trader-customer interaction through mobile devices in Dodoma, Tanzania (2019)
Rumanyika J., Tedre M., Apiola M., Oyelere S., Mramba N.
- Towards holistic mobile climate services for farmers in Tambuu, Tanzania (2019)
Myllynpää V., Misaki E., Apiola M., Helminen J., Dayoub M., Westerlund T., Sutinen E.
- Big Data Value Chain: Making Sense of the Challenges (2019)
Milla Wirén, Matti Mäntymäki, Najmul A.K.M Islam
- Experiences from a development project in Kenya – Baselines for future climate information systems (2019)
Helminen J., Kirongo B., Gaiani S., Misaki E., Apiola M., Sutinen E.
- Prediction of Student Final Exam Performance in an Introductory Programming Course: Development and Validation of the Use of a Support Vector Machine-Regression Model (2019)
Veerasamy Ashok Kumar, Daryl D’Souza, Rolf Lindén, Mikko-Jussi Laakso
- Strategizing on Digital Disruptions - Blockchain is open to all, isn’t it?(Presentation at the 25th Nordic Academy of Management Conference, Vaasa 22.-24.8. 2019)) (2019)
Marja Turunen, Matti Mäntymäki, A.K.M. Najmul Islam
- Verbalizing sensory experiences: A netnography on snacks in consumers' everyday lives (2019)
Saara Lundén, Henna Syrjälä, Kaisa Könnölä, Tapani N Joelsson, Harri Luomala, Tuomas Mäkilä, Mari Sandell
- Innovative and Efficient Teaching Methodology for Digital Communication Systems using an e-Learning Platform (2019)
Rajeev Kanth, Jukka-Pekka Skön, Arto Toppinen, Kari Lehtomäki, Mikko-Jussi Laakso, Jukka Heikkonen
- Relationship between perceived problem-solving skills and academic performance of novice learners in introductory programming courses (2019)
Ashok Kumar Veerasamy, Daryl D'Souza, Rolf Lindén, Mikko‐Jussi Laakso
- Duality of self-promotion on social networking sites (2019)
A.K.M. Najmul Islam, Matti Mäntymäki, Izak Benbasat
- Understanding the Role of Actor Heterogeneity in Blockchain Splits: An Actor-Network Perspective of Bitcoin Forks (2019)
A.K.M. Najmul Islam, Matti Mäntymäki, Marja Turunen
- Snacking Gamers (2018)
Tuomas Mäkilä, Henna Syrjälä, Tapani N. Joelsson, Kaisa Könnölä, Saara Lunden, Mari Sandell, Harri Luomala
- Special Issue of Advances in Multimedia: Augmented and Virtual Reality towards Digital Economy (2018)
Mohd S. Sunar, Hoshang Kolivand, Mark Billinghurst, Adrian D. Cheok, Tuomas Mäkilä